Hackers are now targeting baby monitors and other household devices. It may surprise you to learn that the leading reasons hackers are getting through include:
- Parents not changing the default password
- Home WiFi network password is easily guessed
- Security flaw with baby monitor
Not changing both your baby monitor and home WiFi password from their original ones is like leaving your front door open with a big sign that says come in and steal everything in the house…including my baby.
What can you do now to keep your family safe and how can you outsmart hackers?
STEPS TO ENHANCE YOUR BABY MONITOR SECURITY
- Change the default camera name and create a secure password for the app that connects to the baby monitor
- Check for updates for both the baby monitor and the app that it uses
- Don’t use the same password as your home WiFi network
BEST BABY MONITOR FEATURES TO LOOK FOR
- Encrypted security makes it harder for hacker to break in
- WiFi connected is preferred over RF versions that transmit a radio signal
- Newer models are generally made more secure
- Place any cords connected to monitor far out of baby’s reach