Earlier this week Apple released iOS 15.5 which includes updates to Apple Cash, Photo Memories, the podcasts app and more. Some of these tweaks include:
- There are now “Send” and “Request” buttons in the Apple Cash app which means you can send and receive money from your Apple Cash card
- You can now select Podcast episodes stored on your phone and can set it so that the phone automatically deletes older Podcast episodes
- Apple Photos will no longer suggest memories from “sensitive locations” specifically having to do with the Holocaust.
Most importantly there were over 25 security-related fixes related to your Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV that you can find on the Apple security update page.
Before you make any updates, always be sure to backup your devices.
How to backup Your Mac
- Connect an external drive to your Mac
- Click the Time Machine preferences icon in the upper right corner of your computer menu bar.
- Click “Select Backup Disk”
- Choose the name of your disk, then click “Use Disk”. Now Time Machine will begin making automatic backups on a frequent basis.
How to backup Your iOS device (iPhone, Tablet) using iCloud
- Go to Settings
- Click the first row with your name
- Click iCloud.
- Click iCloud Backup and toggle on.
- iCloud will automatically back up your phone daily. You can also manually click “Back Up Now” on this screen to force a backup.
Now it’s time to update your devices.
How to update Your Mac to the latest software
- Go to the Apple icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen
- Click “About this Mac”
- Click the “Software Updates” button
- Click “Update Now”
- If you don’t have the latest operating system, you will have to upgrade your operating system first before updating the software.
How to update your iOS device to the latest software
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update to see the newest version of iOS
- Select Download and Install
How to update your Apple Watch to the latest software
- Be sure you’re Apple Watch is connected to wifi
- Click Settings app
- Click General
- Click Software Update
- Click Install
How to update your Apple TV to the latest software
- Click settings
- Click System
- Click Software Updates
- Click Update Software
- Click Download and Install