I first noticed a single friend using reverse image search to learn more about a prospective real-life date from a virtual date. She had a few of his photos and was able to learn the origin and confirm a lot about the lucky guy using this powerful tool. There are so many more great reasons why you’d want to do a reverse image search.
What are the benefits of reverse searching an image?
Like I mentioned above, is there someone in your life maybe too good to be true? Look that person up on their social media profile and if their picture seems too good to be true or perhaps you’ve seen it somewhere else, do a reverse image search. Do you see others using that same photo?
Try using reverse search to look up:
- a certain flower
- a piece of food (fruit, vegetable) you’ve never seen before
- a building
- piece of furniture
- piece of clothing (shirt, dress, shoes)
- animal, (you’ll see in our main image above, I reverse searched my dog and sure enough Google knew the breed was Vizsla!)
Not only will Google be able to identify the object, but in many cases where you are shopping for an item, it will present prices for that object in all the places you can purchase it online (more on that below)
How to reverse image search on an iPhone: Safari Browser
If you have an image saved to your camera roll and you want to see any similar images on the web or perhaps where it originally came from you can do the following:
1) In your Safari browser, visit images.google.com.
2) In order for a camera icon (which we’ll need) to appear in the google search bar, click the “AA” icon in the upper left-hand corner of the search bar at the top of the screen.
3) From the dropdown, click “Request Desktop Website”
3) Now you will see a camera icon in the google search bar.
4) Click the camera icon and in the pop-up, click the “upload an image”tab” and then click “photo library”.
5) Select the image in your camera roll you want to reverse image search and select “Choose” in the lower right-hand corner.
5) Google images will now show all articles and other visually similar images related to the image you just selected.
6) If you would now like to price shop for the object you just reverse search, click the “Shopping” tab in the menu at the top of your browser. You can now sort through all of the options including price, brand, color, etc.
How to reverse image search on an iPhone & Android: Chrome Browser
1) Launch the Chrome browser app
2) Tap and hold down on any image on a webpage until a menu comes up
3) Click the last row “Search Google for this Image”
4) Search results based on that image will appear.
5) If you would now like to price shop for the object you just reverse search, click the “Shopping” tab in the menu at the top of your browser. You can now sort through all of the options including price, brand, color, etc.
- Best tips and tricks for searching through your photos
- How to backup photos the right way
- How to find a missing camera by searching for photos