We’re always watching out for your privacy – but when it comes to the internet, it’s really hard to have any privacy. That is – unless you use a VPN.
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network and they’re becoming more commonly used than ever. VPNs are helpful for both advanced and novice tech users.
Why do you need a VPN?
If you’re using your laptop to browse online at a coffee shop, you’re putting your personal information in jeopardy. A VPN can ensure that your connection is safe and your data is encrypted. Secure connections in public places are only guaranteed these days by using a VPN.
For the more technically savvy, using a VPN can help you bypass geographical restrictions. That means you can watch Italian Netflix while living in the U.S., or access your remote work while in a different country.
6 Reasons to Use a VPN
- VPNs add a layer of enhanced security by scrambling your internet traffic to prevent your personal data from falling into the hands of hackers, advertisers, or other third parties.
- VPNs prevent Internet service providers from monitoring your online activity.
- VPNs offer a way around geo-fencing blocks. That’s the technology that can tell where you are located geographically when not protected by a VPN.
- You can save money on purchasing items following these 6 hidden tips.
- Some websites, especially streaming providers like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc only offer certain programming in certain countries based on licensing agreements. In case you are wondering how to unblock Netflix in your location, VPN is the answer. In other words, you can watch programming and streaming services anywhere on the internet away from home with a VPN that connects back to your home region. Many people use VPN to watch TV shows and movies that are not available in their country.
- They can help increase your connection speeds, especially if your Internet provider decides to throttle down your speed at times when it’s busy online. Interesting fact: some countries, such as China, Russia, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Turkey, Iraq, Turkmenistan, Belarus, and North Korea forbid their usage altogether.
Here are our top picks for VPN software in 2022:
Editor’s Choice: ExpressVPN
Fast. Secure. Reliable. ExpressVPN has everything you need to enhance your online anonymity and privacy. Not only that, with ExpressVPN you can beat the geo-fencing blocks and access sites and content otherwise unavailable in your country, including other countries’ Netflix libraries. Come take a look at all the reasons why we rate ExpressVPN #1.
- Set up was quick and took less than 2 minutes – it’s that quick and simple
- Has servers in 94 countries
- Available on every device including iOS, Mac, Android, Windows, router, Linux, web browser and more
- P2P support
- Has good privacy settings so it won’t track you including:
- Will not log your IP address, browsing history, traffic destination or metadata, or DNS queries
- All servers run only on RAM so your data is never stored on a hard drive
- ExpressVPN does not collect user data including your activity or connection data
- One of the fastest and most reliable VPNs
- Full money-back guarantee within 30 days
- Strong and helpful customer service experiences
- 24/7 live chat customer service
- Price – While it’s one of the higher-priced VPNs, you get what you pay for here which includes:
Is it worth it?
- Their industry-first TrustedServer technology allows their servers to run on RAM only. This guarantees all software and data on a server is wiped on reboot, significantly minimizing any risk of servers could containing sensitive user information
- ExpressVPN’s in-house next-generation VPN protocol, Lightway gives you a faster, more reliable, and more secure VPN experience. The core codebase of Lightway has been open-sourced and is available on GitHub.
- ExpressVPN is constantly going above and beyond to protect its users. And we’ve got an example of this. When the massive Log4J vulnerability shook the internet, ExpressVPN was the first VPN to deploy a wide-scale consumer mitigation tool for the Log4J bug.
- Connect to VPN on 5 devices at once
- Server locations in 94 countries with unlimited bandwidth
- Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chromebook, and more
Right now you can get 3 extra months FREE with a 12-month ExpressVPN plan. That’s just $6.67 per month, a saving of 49%!
- How to install ExpressVPN on all of your devices
- Top 6 reasons why you need a VPN when you travel
- How do I use a VPN for online banking when I travel?
- Can I use multiple VPNs on my devices at the same time?
- Are free VPNs safe?
- Offers CyberSec which preventatively blocks ads and malicious websites, and looks out for phishing scams
- Has over 5,200 servers
- You can share your VPN with someone as you actively use it
- Has kill switch
- No free trial
- Priced higher than other VPN packages
- You can set up Nord VPN on up to 6 simultaneous connections at a time.
- Available for iOS, Windows, Mac, and Android
- Price – best cost-effective VPN
- 3,200+ servers in 94 countries
- Also has good privacy settings. You can virtually use it with full privacy – they won’t track your:
- IP address, browsing history, used bandwidth, session information, network traffic, connection timestamps
- Unlimited devices
- Added antivirus software (Surfshark One)
- Has kill switch
- Not as speedy as the more expensive ones
- Long-distance connections
- No free version
- Pay $2.49 a month (82% off) for 24 months + 2 extra months free when you buy a 2-year plan
- Covers unlimited devices
- Available for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, and more