Technology breakthroughs in protective armor for vehicles is driving down the otherwise expensive proposition of outfitting police cruisers for a higher degree of protection against street attacks. The latest in ballistic glass called “transparent armor” weighs less and can stop more bullets from penetrating when installed on a police cruiser. The NYPD has a estimated fleet count of 8,200 police cruisers. At an approximate cost of $12-18K per vehicle for a 360 degree armored protection, the cost would range between $98M to $147M for the entire fleet of police cruisers.
Three ways we can be protecting police cruisers better than we are today with standard issue automotive glass:
1) innovative ONEWAY ballistic glass kit offering 360 degree protection $12-25K/cop car with the RhinoPAK
2) Learn from crime-ridden Brazil using Dupont Armura lamenate kits (only stops common handguns)
3) Custom armor services can go as high as $50K to retrofit a car often reserved for special uses, danger zones and swat vehicles.
RHINOPAK ARMOR CAR KIT
Broward County Sheriff in Ft. Lauderdale using the RhinoPAK Armor Kit for their police cruiser ford crown victoria fleet.
- cost is substantially lower that creating a armored vehicle from scratch
- takes two techs just less than one day to install
- 360 degree protection to officers inside vehicle including door armor, rear wall armor and ballistic glass windows all around.
- developed patented ballistic ONEWAY glass technology they’ve developed in the Ft. Lauderdale Florida factory
- One-way return fire glass is the first ever design that stops bullets from coming penetrating police cruiser and allowing officers to return fire through the glass from the vehicle.
- adds approx 200 lbs to vehicle weight which increases fuel costs and higher maintenance cost of police cruiser
- price avg 12K-25K per vehicle.
VIDEO OF BALLISTICS TEST ON ONEWAY RETURN FIRE GLASS
DUPONT WINDOW LAMENATE AND KEVLAR KITS IN BRAZIL COULD MAKE IT TO U.S.
In crime-ridden Brazil, Dupont Armura kits tap into developments in layered lamenant glass and kevlar door armor that can be retrofitted into a wide range of car makes and models. These $12K kits are making it more affordable to protect people inside cars, but are not rated for every firearm, but will stop a bullet from the average handgun used on the streets of Brazil.
The lastest technology in bullet proofing glass is SentryGlas from Dupont combined with a new Kevlar armor. Brazil’s high crime rate and safety demand from the middle class has Dupont creating a lowcost car protection kit with a price tag of $12,000.
It’s working in Brazil and could work in the U.S….
DuPont™ Armura®, this solution uses Kevlar® for all panels and SentryGlas® laminate layers with SpallShield® protection for windows and glass.
CUSTOM ARMOR SERVICES OFTEN USED BY HIGH WEALTH INDIVIDUALS
Our thanks to our friends at Madison Avenue Armor who brought us a B6-rated 42mm piece of bullet-proof glass from their leading armoring company – New York’s premiere provider of bulletproof cars and armored vehicles for sale and rent.