Once you make a whole turkey like this, you will never use the oven again. Crispy on the outside and juicy inside, the secret is the herb butter mixture under the skin that lets you put it on the grill and return when its done without basting.
1 (18-20LB) TURKEY
1/2 LB BUTTER, SOFTENED
8 SPRIGS THYME
6 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED
1 SPRIG ROSEMARY, ROUGH CHOP
1 TBSP CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
1/2 TBSP KOSHER SALT
- In a small bowl, combine butter with the minced garlic, thyme leaves, chopped rosemary, black pepper and kosher salt.
- Prepare the turkey by separating the skin from the breast creating a pocket to stuff the butter-herb mixture in.
- Cover the entire breast with 1/4″ thickness of butter mixture.
- Season the whole turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. As an option, you can also stuff the turkey cavity with Traditional Stuffing.
- When ready to cook, set the temperature to 300℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Place turkey on the grill and roast for 3-4 hours. Check the internal temperature, the desired temperature is 175℉ in the thigh next to the bone, and 160℉ in the breast.
- Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165℉ in the breast.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
- *Cook times will vary depending on set and ambient temperatures.
Access this, and over a thousand other Traeger recipes on the Traeger App.
The secret is the indirect heat produced from the hard wood pellets in the Traeger grill. You can literally prep the bird, put it on the grill, insert the temperature probe and leave it alone until the app tells you it’s done. Traeger’s WiFIRE technology hooks into your home wireless internet and when combined with the Traeger app, let’s you know when to pull the turkey off the grill at the exact right moment.
When you bite into a turkey made with this recipe on the grill, you will never make a turkey in the oven again.
— Kurt Knutsson (@cyberguy) December 1, 2019
For this cooking segment, our thanks to Omaha Steaks that turns out to have every holiday meat you could ever want including roasting turkeys. They sent an assortment of their direct order holiday meats that are the finest cuts I have ever put on my grill. For a limited time, Omaha Steaks has an exclusive 20% discount by using promo code FRIENDS. Thanks Omaha Steaks for making the holidays taste so much better.
- These are the tech trends you will see for the holidays in 2019
- See What Games Made the Holiday Hit Gift List
- Kurt’s Best Picks for Black Friday
- More of my Holiday related articles