Apple AirTag to Get Anti-Stalker Update
Apple is making privacy changes to AirTag tracking devices just weeks after introducing them to the world to help stop them from being used to secretly track others.
Concern about the misuse of an AirTag by an abusive spouse, stalker or anyone secretly deploying one into your handbag, backpack or attaching to a car for the purpose of spying on you has come front and center of risks of this new tracking technology.
Originally, an AirTag would chime after three days it was separated from its owner and was moving. Only iPhone owners would get a notification that an “AirTag Found Moving With You” on their screen. For those with an Android, they would get no such alert at all.
Apple is answering the concerns and has announced an update to AirTag that will send an alert earlier to an iPhone within 8 to 24 hours randomly instead of waiting 3 days if it’s moving with you, but without its owner.
Apple will also be working on an app to release later this year for Android to detect AirTags and other Find My devices.
Until then, I have some ways you can detect one of these tiny tracking devices near you.
How to Detect an AirTag
Using a simple bluetooth tracker app, you can scan the area around you to see if an AirTag is near you. One of the free bluetooth detector apps is called BLE Scanner 4.0.
- Download BLE Scanner from the App Store or Google Play
- Launch BLE Scanner app
- Use the mapping feature to sort bluetooth signals by distance.
How To Disable an AirTag
If you find an unauthorized AirTag tracking you, here’s what to do:
- Tap and hold the top of your Android or Apple NFC-capable smartphone to the white side of the AirTag
- Tap the notification that appears. This opens a website that provides information about the AirTag, including the serial number (see image below) Write down the serial number or do a screenshot to snap a picture of your screen that includes the serial number of the AirTag. (This can be helpful for police)
- Push down and twist counterclockwise on the white side of the AirTag
- Take the cover off and remove the battery.
- Once you remove the battery, the location of the AirTag is no longer visible to its owner. If you feel your safety is at risk, contact local law enforcement.
Why You Want to Use AirTag
AirTag is by far the best bluetooth tracker I have ever tested. For practical purposes, it works incredibly well, is very accurate after my evaluation for weeks. At just $29, Apple AirTag is the best pet tracker too.
We have one on our dog’s collar and can see where she is regardless of distance from the house.
AirTags work by tapping into bluetooth connections from other Apple devices like iPhones, iPads and Macs it comes near. Instead of GPS, the faint signal of Bluetooth LE allows the replaceable battery on an AirTag to last up to a year according to Apple.