Working on-the-go has become more acceptable and common than ever before especially with the ease of setting up your own personal hotspot.
Whether you’re on the job or on a vacation but want to check in with some family, you’ll want the option to be able to connect all your devices to the internet.
Here’s how to stay connected by using the devices you already have to connect whenever you need to send an email while on-the-go.
What is a hotspot?
A mobile hotspot is a point that wirelessly gives you service. Hotspots use both WiFi and cellular service, and you set them up to provide a connection to another device like a phone, tablet, or laptop. Please note that if you don’t have Wi-Fi or cell service, you can’t enable a hotspot.
How do I get a hotspot through my cell phone carrier?
All major cell phone companies have their own version of hotspots, and you can set up plans to connect to either your phone, or a separate hotspot device. Major carriers offer unlimited data, so you can use your hotspot without worrying.
Each of these plans and devices vary for your mobile carrier. For example,
- Verizon offers plans ranging from $20-$80 a month where you can add data via hotspot.
- AT&T has affordable hotspot devices under $13 monthly, but the service will depend on your plan.
- T-Mobile has affordable options for monthly hotspot add-ons, $5-10 with the option to pay for more data.
If you want a completely WiFi-free setup, some mobile hot spots are now faster than normal WiFi thanks to 5G.
Solutions for connecting all of your devices to the internet
How to create a mobile hotspot on your Apple device
If your cell phone wireless carrier offers the option for Personal Hotspot, follow these steps to use your iPhone or iPad (as long as it has cellular service) to get WiFi.
iPhone and iPad (WiFi + Cellular):
- Go to Settings
- Tap Cellular
- Tap Personal Hotspot
- On some iOS devices, you’ll see Personal Hotspot directly under Settings
- If you don’t see an option for Personal Hotspot, you can contact your cell phone company to add it to your plan
You will then have the option to Allow Others to Join, and a WiFi password will be displayed.
Next, open the WiFi settings on the other device you want to connect to the internet. Select the iPhone or iPad you have your hotspot set up on from the list of WiFi options, and enter the password displayed.
Mac computer or laptop
If you have a Mac computer, you can share your internet with other devices wireless, even if you’re plugged in through an Ethernet cable.
MacOS Monterey 12
- On your Mac, click the apple icon on the top left of your screen
- Click System Preferences
- Click Sharing
- Select Internet Sharing and select where you’re sharing your internet from
- Then select a port where you’re sharing your WiFi to (if you’re sharing internet from a Ethernet)
MacOS Ventura 13
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, then click Sharing on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
- Click the Info button next to Internet Sharing
- Click “Share your connection from” pop-up menu. Choose the internet connection you want to share. For example, if you’re connected to the internet over Ethernet, choose Ethernet.
- In the “To computers using” list, select the port other computers use to access the shared internet connection. For example, if you want to share your internet connection over Wi-Fi, select Wi-Fi.
- If you chose Wi-Fi in the “To computers using” list, click Wi-Fi Options, configure the internet-sharing network, then click OK.
- Network Name: Type a name for the shared connection.
- Channel: Click the Channel pop-up menu, then choose another channel if you don’t want to use the default channel.
- Security: If available, click the Security pop-up menu, then choose an option.
- Choose WPA3 Personal if all computers that use the shared connection support WPA3.
- Choose WPA2/WPA3 Personal if some computers that use the shared connection support only WPA2.
- Password: Enter a password. If you want to see the current password, select the “Show password” checkbox below the password.
- Click Done.
- Turn on Internet Sharing.
- If you’re sure you want to turn on internet sharing, click Start. Otherwise, click Cancel.
For other MacOS versions, click here and adjust the pulldown at top.
How to create a mobile hotspot on your Android device
You can also use your Android or Samsung phone service to create a mobile hotspot.
Configure your Android’s phone settings
- Go to Settings or tap the gear icon
- Tap either Network & Internet or Connections
- Tap Hotspot & Tethering (sometimes Mobile Hotspot & Tethering)
- Edit your personal hotspot wifi name and password
- Click Configure
- Toggle on to use your Hotspot
Use the Network name and password you set up while configuring to access the WiFi from your other device.
How to create a mobile hotspot on Windows PC
If you have Windows 10 or Windows 11, you can turn your PC into a hotspot and share WiFi or cellular data.
- Select the Start button
- Click Settings and click Network & internet
- Then select mobile hotspot
- Select how you want to Share now (through WiFi, ethernet)
- Edit your personal hotspot name and password
- Turn on Mobile Hotspot
Use the Network name and password you set up to access the WiFi from your other device.
Boost cell phone signal inside your home
As mentioned above, if you don’t have Wi-Fi or cell service, you can’t enable a hotspot. However, in order to boost your cell signal and/or you find dead zones within your own home or workspace, you’ll want to use SureCall Fusion4Home Cell Phone Signal Booster to get a stronger signal for up to 2000 square feet.
For more on how to boost your cell phone signal at home, visit our article here
Have you found a different way to work remotely? Comment below.
- When one WiFi router isn’t enough – Top mesh networking winners
- Is public WiFi safe?
- Top 5 Routers for Best Security 2022
- How do I use a VPN for online banking when I travel?
- Top 6 reasons why you need a VPN when you travel